As a model maker I collect all sorts of "useful" items that one day I can make something out of. This project began with a bunch of wooden coffee stirrers, which form the structure of the legs and arms for these dolls along with corks which are the basis of the bodies, which I then covered in Milliput a type of air drying clay but more durable and easy to sand. I really admire the style of the late 19th century simple "peg" dolls that were once available for just a few pennies. They had their hair painted straight onto their bodies, a style I emulated for my seaside dolls. I used pins for the limbs which gave the dolls a limited amount of movement, but not enough to be truly posable or robust for play. Next time I build some of these dolls I am going to build knees and elbow joints using disposable chopsticks.